My Very Own Potter Pillow!

After coming across a great post on Bobble Stitch Graphghans by the amazing Repeat Crafter Me I had to try my hand at it and I have to say that I fell in love with all of that texture. However I didn’t fall in love with the back of the piece so I decided to make my square into a pillow. A Harry Potter Pillow to be exact!

15 - 115 - 7 (1)

To make this pillow I just needed a few things.

• a 16″ pillow form (I got a twin pack at JoAnn’s for 40% off)
  • worsted weight yarn in all of my graph colors (brown, black, red, gold and aran for the front and some red, gold, black, green, blue and white for the back)
  • a 5.00 mm/H crochet hook for the Bobble block and a 3.5 mm/E hook
  • a yarn needle for all of those ends
  • scissors
  • gauge for this square is 7 sc and 8 rows is 2″ square

O and don’t forget the patterns!

HP Pillow Graph by Crafty Ridge

HP Pillow Graph by Crafty Ridge

You can download the HP graph PDF here! HP Pillow Pattern Graph

For the bobble stitch you will count the number of squares across the bottom of your graph. Multiply that number by 2 and add 1. So for this graph you have 25 squares multiplied by 2 is 50 plus 1 is 51 so you will chain 51.

In a bobble graphghan each square is equal to two stitches wide and two stitches tall. What that means is for row one you will sc across doing 2 sc for each square on the graph, changing color as needed. At the end of row one you will then ch 3 and do a bobble in the first st and a sc in the 2nd, You will repeat the pattern of one bobble then one sc, changing color exactly like you do in the row of sc below it. These two rows of crochet will be equal to one row of your graph.

When you come to the third row of crochet on your afghan you will then do a row of sc, changing colors as it appears in the 2nd row of the graph. You will then do the next row using bobbles and sc just like before, changing colors just like the row of sc.

Your graph will be worked up in alternating rows. The color changes will be made in the rows of sc and then they will become the guideline for the row of bobble and sc. Each square will be represented by 2 sc in one row and the bobble and sc in the 2nd row.

I carried my yarn through out. It doesn’t show at all through the front, however it does peak through the back. If you do this make sure to pull your yarn snug but not to snug before using it again.

I did a border of sc around my Harry Potter Bobble Square with black and left the black attached and sat it aside because you will use it again.

hp crest

Hogwart’s Crest by Crafty Ridge

The back of my pillow was a fun and colorful mock up of the Hogwart’s Crest! You can download the HP Crest Pillow Graph PDF here! HP Crest Pillow Pattern

For this pattern I used the c2c method! You can see how to do a c2c graph in one of my previous posts, A New Texture For Your Graphghans. This post and video will give you the basics on crocheting a c2c graph, however I did make some adjustments when doing the pillow so the stitch is tighter.

• Instead of chaining 6 at the beginning of the square, chain 5
  • use hdc instead of dc
  • ch 2 instead of 3 when starting a new square.
  • gauge for this square is 3 c2c clusters by 3 c2c clusters is 2″ square

As usual you will read your graph from c2c instead of across each row. Make a note of marking each row off that you finish. It makes it easier to see what you have done and where you are going. Check out this video for some basics

I also added a border of sc on my Hogwart’s Crest. I did 1 row of sc in each of the 4 school colors, doing a sc, ch 2, sc in each corner.

Then when attaching the front to the back I made sure to put them back to back and also made sure both were right side up. Using the black from the Harry Bobble Square I used a sc to attach them to each other, slipping my hook under each layer. There were times when I had to do a couple sc in one stitch of the Harry Bobble square to make up for it having less stitches around the border than the Hogwart’s Crest. When you are almost done and just have one side to stitch up, slip in your pillow form and get it all straightened out before finishing it off.When all sides are sealed up with the sc then all you have to do is tie off at the end and sew in your ends.

Then you have a fun Potter Pillow of your own to cuddle up with! Maybe it’ll even make you as happy as it did my little Zeus!

15 - 1 (1)

My silly Zeus wanting to be a PinUp for the day!

Happy Hooking,

Angela

Advertisements
This entry was posted in crochet, diy, graphghans and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to My Very Own Potter Pillow!

1. Tanya Naser says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!

2. comicallycreative says:

Umm…this is AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing!

3. I will wait at my mailbox for you to send me this. 😉

4. Stunning – I think I might have to have a go myself!

5. Joey says:

How awesome! I am just starting to do ç2c graphs and this helped me out alot! Thanks!

6. Pingback: My Minecraft Obsession…..Its a Sheep! | Crafty Ridge Designs

7. aeaf1999 says:

It looks amazing, I love Bobble Stitch Graphghans. 🙂 X

8. Pingback: Harry Potter Crochet A Long with Crafty Ridge | Crafty Ridge Designs

9. jazmine lopez says:

I’m thinking of making this for a friend. It’s such a neat design!! I haven’t made a pillow before. If I did the back in bobble as well instead of c2c would I follow the same instructions as the the front graph?

10. Shatan Bryan says:

I love this pillow. I started last night & have Harry nearly finished. Can’t wait to start on Ron & I really hope Hermione is ready soon as well. I would love to have all 3 of them made for a Christmas present.

11. Pingback: Who wants some more Potter? | Crafty Ridge Designs

12. Sarah I. says:

Hi! I was wondering what your policy on selling items made from your patterns. I was searching on Etsy to see what the market was like for Harry Potter themed pillows, and saw one that looked a lot like your pattern.

• craftyridge says:

You are more than welcome to sell any finished items you make from my patterns however you can not copy, sell or redistribute my patterns as your own. I always appreciate a little throwback like “Based on thw Potter Pillow pattern by Crafty Ridge.” However that is upon your discretion 🙂

13. Sarah says:

Hello! I love this!!! I was wondering about the chain for Harry. Did you do that one in black? and how much yarn would you say you used for this?

• craftyridge says:

Thank you so much! I did the initial chain in the gold and then I did the first row of sc in the same colors as the graph. The black os the sc attaches the back and front together.

Using Red Heart Super Saver yarn a 4.0 mm hook and a 25×25 graph.
      A c2c uses approximately 247 yards of worsted weight yarn.
      A bobble square is approximately 328 yards of worsted weight yarn.

Hope this helps 🙂

14. Shelby Burridge says:

What would be your recommendation if I just wanted to turn the shield pattern on the back into a blanket? I really love this pattern, it looks wonderful! I think they shield would make a perfect reading blanket!

Liked by 1 person

• craftyridge says:

Maybe do it in c2c and do a few rows for each row and a few squares for each stitch. Then you can always add a border to get it larger. First do a swatch of maybe 5×5 in c2c and then see how big you would want it to be. Hope that helps 🙂

15. EmmaLee says:

I’m currently making this for my friend for her birthday. She’s going to LOVE this.

16. Pingback: Everyone’s Favorite House Elf | Crafty Ridge Designs

17. Sandra says:

This is awesome! I am super excited to make this, but I was wondering where you got the pattern for Harry? I am hoping to find the other two members of the trio for a set of pillows.

18. Carol C says:

Do you have a afghan pattern for the picture of Harry Potter, instead of the pillow?

• craftyridge says:

I designed this square and my other Harry Potter squares here on the blog as smaller squares. But I am sure that this one can easily be adjusted into a full afghan. I’ve seen someone use a granny square for each square on the graph. It made a lovely afghan 🙂

19. vinnyblue says:

Can this be done straight across rather tha c2c?

• craftyridge says:

Absolutely! You can do any of my graphs in whatever stitch is more comfortable to you. To keep the dame size in single crochet just edit the size by doing 2 sc for each square and doing each row 2 times. Making the graph a 50×50 vs 25×25. Hope this helps 🙂

20. Jana says:

Thank you so very much for your explanation of how to do the bobble stitch on a graph. I tried before and didn’t get it. Your instructions are amazing and I’m working on a pillow now.

21. Andreanna Andrew says:

I know the pillow form is 16×16 but what were the dimensions of the Potter square?

22. Hi! I am interested in making your crest pillow. I was just wondering if you wouldn’t mind telling me what specific colors you used? To me it looks like Burgundy, Kelly Green, Royal Blue, but I’m not sure about the Hufflepuff color.. Is it yellow or gold?

Also, this pillow is just gorgeous. Wonderful work!

Thanks! 🙂

23. Pingback: Harry Potter Lovey & Mermaid Tail – Chaos & Chop Suey

24. Allison says:

I absolutely love this! I do have one quick question, you listed two different hook sizes in the materials and I was wondering if you switch hooks when doing the bobble? Is the 5.00mm used only for bobble stitches and the 3.5mm used for the rows of single crochet? Or is the 3.5mm used for the c2c design only? I have attempted to make the Harry Potter already but it came out much larger and is more rectangular than square shaped.

Thank you for any help or advice! I am hoping to fill my couch with many Harry Potter themed pillows as I can possibly make 😀

25. Bess says:

This is so cool! I just found out a friend is having a baby and wants a HP blanket. Could this be made into a blanket? If so, could you elaborate? Thanks so much!!

26. Lilly says:

Thank you !!!!
    It’s an amazing pattern easy to follow and just for that I’m grateful to you !
    My daughter’s are fan of HP and this will an awesome addition to their collections.

27. Stacey says:

These are great I have finished the Harry Potter side, and almost done my Hogwarts side, but my Potter side came out rectangular not square so they now don’t match up

• craftyridge says:

This is probably due to your tension, but it is an easy fix. When you go to attach them just fold down one row of bobbles from Harry’s head or scarf so it is inside of the 2 pieces and then attache. After it’s all closed up you won’t be able to tell. Hope this helps! Happy Hooking!

28. Bethany says:

I have trying to figure out how to turn this pattern into a baby blanket instead of a pillow. Do you think that I could just double all the squares (length and width) and it would work out ok?

• craftyridge says:

You can try doing lots of different stitches like hdc or c2c or even maybe a granny square for each block. I would do a few samples and then check the gauge. Hope this helps. Happy hooking!